Container conversion: Part 3

Cameron the Handyman Dubbo

It’s been nearly 12 months since we’ve done an update on the container, largely because all the paid jobs have been a priority. It’s been a busy year.

However, over the past four months significant inroads have been made progressing this project – much to the relief of the resident Artist.

Over the past summer, the stud walls and ceiling joists went up and the doors went in after the Artist did her thing on the staining. That was a pain in the bum job and whoever suggested using Black Japan stain on French doors obviously wasn’t thinking of the work involved. There were a few problems with the stain as the timber in the doors wasn’t a consistent density. However, after the fourth coat (sealer), there was no going back.

We were into March when we started to have problems with our septic system. Something we hadn’t budgeted for in the studio project was a new septic. However, given the desperate need to do something, we made the decision to relocate it so that not only would we have a septic that better serves the house and northern garden (it’s an onsite waste water treatment system), we could now easily incorporate plumbing into the studio design (see pic above). So, no more talk of composting toilets (thank goodness). The studio will have a small bathroom/store-room and a kitchenette on the other side of the wall.

At about the same time, the electrician finally turned up (a saga in itself). It only took a few hours to wire up the studio with plenty of powerpoints, light switches, an outdoor light, a ceiling fan and a split system air conditioner (the Artist was out-voted by me and the electrician on that). The power will run from the house, so the next part of that job was up to me – digging the trench for the power cable. Not long after this was finished we had some much welcome rain and weeks later the trench is still full of water.

While I had the dingo trencher, we took advantage of moving around a truckload of mulch that we’d had delivered when the septic was going in. A large slab of the northern garden was wiped out in the process of putting the septic in and the Artist has taken advantage of that by redesigning the layout of the garden, which will now incorporate fruit trees, native grasses, granite pathways and landscaping around the studio, all watered by the Earthsafe recycled watering system.

So, after a couple of months off due to work being busy again, we were into May and with the timber work up inside, I was able to get started on the insulation, starting with the Space Blanket, an Earthwool® ceiling insulation with a laminate of reflective foil to stop condensation build up. Then it was on to plaster boarding the walls, which I unfortunately started on a rainy weekend. Working with damp plasterboard makes the job twice as hard.

It took a couple of weekends, which took us into June and finally, the main studio space is now insulated and walled. In all there was about 72msq of plasterboard and Earthwool® insulation (four packs for the walls and two packs of the thicker stuff for the ceiling). The bathroom/store-room is doing its job storing stuff at the moment – I’ll get to that eventually.

One other problem that arose over the past couple of months was with the Solar Whiz solar roof ventilator and heat extractor. I liked the flatter design of it compared to the conventional whirlybirds, which was going to work well with the skillion roof that will go over the studio. I took the Solar Whiz on to the roof of the studio and was about to cut a hole to fit the unit, when it started up. The noise of the fan was incredible! The Artist could hear it from the house. We’re still trying to work through this issue.

Next on the list is the installation of the fittings, getting the power switched on, putting in the kitchenette, then painting and laying the flooring…at least another six months worth of weekends, I reckon.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Advertisements

One thought on “Container conversion: Part 3

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s